Week 2 Reading Overview

Tentative Reading Schedule

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Tiny Tales: Aesop

Week 4: Twenty Two Goblins

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Folktales of Bengal

Week 6: Ramayana

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Chinese Fairy Tales

Week 9: The Monkey King Sun Wu Kung

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Blackfoot Stories

Week 11: Myths of the Cherokee

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Faerie Queene - Britomart

Week 13: King Arthur

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Dante's Inferno

Week 15: The Decameron by Boccaccio

Reading Interests

It's hard to pick a unit I am most excited for, because I'm anxious to most all of the stories I chose. I spent way too long choosing what to put on my schedule, because most myths and folktales that I hadn't already read sounded interesting. I may be taking advantage of the extra credit reading!

"Twenty Two Goblins," "Faerie Queene," and "The Monkey King" units all stand out however because they sound like great stories and I hadn't heard of any of them. On the other hand, I've heard Dante's Inferno and the Ramayana mentioned with literary reverence, but have never read them, so I'm looking forward to those works too. 

Folktales from Central and South America seem to be missing, so I might incorporate those into my work somehow. I took a trip to Guatemala a few years ago and heard a man tell a story in a nearly-extinct Mayan language, so I might like to read about Mayan or other indigenous languages.


Stained glass window depicting Britomart, the protagonist of one of the stories I'm most excited to read. Photo by C J Thompson.



Comments

Popular Posts