Microfiction: Tales of a Sorcerer

The Sorcerer's Ship

There was once a sorcerer so powerful that many became his students, wanting his abilities. One day the sorcerer needed to leave and instructed his students to watch a covered bowl without disturbing it. The students’ curiosity got the better of them, and lifting the cover they saw a miniature, very life-like ship. One student dipped his hands in the water, making the boat capsize. He quickly righted it, but the sorcerer appeared immediately, soaking wet and shocking all the students. “You disobeyed my commands,” he said. “My journey ended early and my boat got destroyed because you lacked discipline.”


The Magical Candle

Another day the sorcerer had to leave again. He lit a candle and told his students to watch it throughout the night, not allowing it to go out. The first watch came and went, but during the second watch the students were all too sleepy to stay awake—all of the fell asleep. One woke up and noticed that the candle was out, so he hurried to relight it. The new flame lit up the face of the sorcerer who was already back in the room. Everyone woke in fright. “Because this blew out, I walked fifteen miles in the dark.” 


Author's Note

These two microfictions came from different parts of the same Chinese folktale, "The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge." They are pretty minor events in the story, so I left out a lot in the original tale, like the sorcerer being captured by thousands of soldiers and escaping in the stomach of a mountain giant. I only made minor changes to these two sections of the story. In "The Sorcerer's Ship," I made the sorcerer return covered in water, hoping to make it more clear that the sorcerer was on a real-life ship somehow tied to the miniature one. In the second story, I made it just one person who discovered the candle had gone the feelings of panic and fright more relatable to the reader. Both of these stories are drabbles (100 words plus a title). I have found these to be my favorite microfiction length because I can include the most detail.


Story Source: "The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge" in The Chinese Fairy Book by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

Boat image from Robert Pittman (2013) on Flickr.

Candle image from David Tomaseti on Unsplash.


Comments

  1. Hi Catherine, I enjoyed reading your Week 7 story! I thought that it was quite interesting on how you decided to split up the original into two different stories. I liked how the microfictions included the perfect amount of detail for the reader to understand the story as well as notice the similarities to the original stories even though the microfictions were shorter than the original. Overall, great work on retelling the original story in your own way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catharine,
    I really do like these microfictions, I haven't had much experience with them outside of this class and they are always so fun to read! I am very intrigued by this sorcerer and would love to see more of him in the future! I would like to know more about his character and his place in the greater world, but I understand that micro fictions are not the best medium through which to convey such levels of detail. Looking forward to seeing what else you have to write this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine!
    I enjoyed reading this story! You did a great job of adding your own twists to it and splitting up the story to make two parts was a cool idea. I like the idea of the microfictions because they are easy to read but still give a lot of detail. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine! The first story was so interesting! I didn't quite understand how you were going to make it just 100 words, but you finished by telling the reader all they needed to know in a clear and concise way. Great job! It was really creative to use two microfictions, and I like how they both followed the same type of structure. I would love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I love your little microfictions! I have never tried to write one before but because of yours, it makes me want to try to. It was cool to see the different things you decided to include in your two little stories. My favorite part of it is in the first story with how you connected him to the small ship that they messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Catherine!
    I loved the way you told this story. I really wanted to know what was going to happen when the students disobeyed the commands and was expecting something bad. I liked that it was kind of like a lesson. You cut straight to the point to tell the story. I also liked the mysterious feeling that the sorcerer had. I really hope I can learn to write as concise as this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Catherine,
    Awesome micro fiction stories! Virtual high-five for doing something a little different. Why did I envision an irate, sopping wet Ian Mckellen yelling at me when I read the first one, lol. I think these are great little stories to teach the lesson that the smallest of actions can sometimes have the greatest consequences. Can we expect more microfiction this year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine,
    I love your retelling of the story! I haven't seen a lot of microfictions so I commend you for that. I like that you made the first to be a lesson, with the lack of discipline from the student. The second one is funny with the master saying he walked fifteen miles in the dark. I hope you write more microfictions because I really enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts