Microfiction: Twenty-Two Goblins

 A Goblin's Riddle: The Brahman Who Died By Poison

    One night, a Brahman’s wife disappeared forever. The despairing Brahman gave up his belongings and searched through the desert with lonely travelers to find her. Having no luck, he eventually collapsed near another Brahman’s house. The compassionate wife gave him rice. As he ate, a snake being eaten by a hawk overhead leaked poison into the bowl of the oblivious man. Before he died, he said to the generous woman: “you are guilty of murder if you cannot save me from this poison!” Which party is to blame—the woman, snake, or hawk? 

The correct answer is the dead man himself.

Story Source: "The Snake's Poison" in Twenty-Two Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder.



A Goblin's Riddle: The Old Man's New Body

    An old hermit-magician saw a youth on a funeral pyre and made a decision. He wailed loudly, then danced around, and then magically entered the boy’s body, leaving his old one behind. Why did he cry and dance? 

He mourned the loss of his old body, but celebrated newfound youth.

Story Source: "The Old Hermit" in Twenty-Two Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder.



Author's Note

Both of these stories came from Arthur Ryder's translation of Twenty-Two Goblins, a story about a goblin who tells riddling stories to a clever king. I took out the king and goblin characters from these stories, instead focusing on two of the actual tales the goblin told. Instead of the king answering the riddle, I wanted the reader to think about it. So the correct answer (according to the original tale) is separated from the rest of the story. Other than taking out some details and background information in the process of condensing the stories, these are simple retellings—the settings, plots, and characters all remain the same. In the second story I had to take out more, so mourners of the youth and a pupil of the hermit were removed. The first story is 100 words, or a drabble, while the second is 50, or a dribble. I think I like the first length better because it's easier to tell more a more complex riddle.

Image Information: 

1. Photo of hawk flying by Don DeBold on Flickr.

2. Image of elderly person's hands from Ronn "Blue" Aldaman on Flickr.


Comments

  1. Hey Catherine,
    I also like the length of your first story better! The second riddle I found myself thinking more on. Not that it is a bad thing, but I did enjoy reading the first story more. I did think about the answer for each story and I like how you separated the answer from the story. It definitely contributed to me thinking about the answer. I think the removal of some characters did help to smoothline the story, and perhaps create a more desired response from someone reading. Great post, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine, I think you did a really good job with these micro-fiction stories! I like how you made this a more interactive experience for the readers! Your removal of the answers to the riddles allows for the reader to think more about the riddles and I think that was a smart move. I think it must've been super hard to make a story that short and condensed but still showcasing the main idea of the story! Good job fitting all of that into 100 words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine,
    This was so fun to read, and I loved how short and to the point it was. I might steal this idea from you, because it seems like it would be a fun way to write. If I were to write, I would probably do a Drabble because it did allow for a little more complexity and clarity. Great writing and I hope to run across more of your stuff soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine! I too agree with some of the above comments that say that the first story was their favorite. I definitely had to think a little harder on the second story, but both of them were very creative and got me thinking. These stories were very short which can be both good and bad. As a reader I wanted a little more to the story, but overall I really enjoyed reading what you have so far and hopefully you stick with this type of story for the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine!
    I found both of these to be pretty thought provoking but very interesting. It was nice to come across a story page that was so different form what I'm use to seeing! I liked the format of the picture coming before the answer, and I loved that the answers were short and really got to the point (obviously the answer to the riddle). I liked your use of stories to turn into your own version of riddles though! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts