Storybook Plan

 Mayan Folktales Storybook Plan

Stories: The source for all my stories will be Heart of Heaven, Heart of Earth, and Other Mayan Folktales by James D. Sexton and Ignacio Bizarro Ujpán. The three stories I want to include are "The Woman Who Died for Three Days and Went to Get Acquainted With Hell," "Story of an Enchanted Place: Paruchi Abaj," and "The Legend of Francisco Sojuel: A Tzutuhil Story." More information about the plots of these stories can be found in my Storybook Research post. After I complete more reading, I might change which stories I chose to write about or add another one. The stories will be told in the same writing style as the book, which is third person prose.

Organization: My storybook will be told from the perspective of a present-day Guatemalan girl who learns about the legends of ancient Guatemala and who believes in the importance and instructive qualities of dreams. Each story will be retold separately, but as if the girl is dreaming them and participating as the main character in the story. Through her dreams, she will travel back in time, have different powers and personalities, and interact with mythical figures firsthand. After having the dreams, the girl will learn new lessons, have some of the legendary powers of ancient Tzutuhils, and see some evidence of old myths in her everyday life. 

Themes: I want to use supernatural elements, ghosts and other mythical figures, and dreams to teach lessons or enforce certain morals. The first story about not going to hell gives incentives to not be greedy. The message I want to get across in the second story is to not be overconfident and to ask for help when it's needed, though I may have to change some of the plot to make that happen. The third story will be about how hard work pays off, making you happier and more skilled. I might have to change some plot elements for that story too. Overall, the girl in my storybook will learn to pay attention to the wisdom offered in old stories.


Image of book stack from Ginny on Flickr.

Comments

Popular Posts