Reading Notes: Blackfoot Stories: Reading B

 The Snake Chief Story Major Plot Points

I liked the portion of the Kut-O-Yis story about the camp with the snake chief the best, and I think I am most likely to retell that one. I want to do it from the perspective of Kut-O-Yis himself to show his perceptions, emotions, and thought processes, instead of in third person like the original. I also might add some elements from the similar story about the bear chief. In this story, the bears come to steal the meat instead of Kut-O-Yis going to their tent.

  1. Kut-O-Yis decides to go to the village. It is clear by this point in the story that Kut-O-Yis is seeking out bad people or creatures in order to put an end to evil in the world. The camp is at a place called "Point of Rocks" on "Sun River," and there is a piskun there. 
  2. Kut-O-Yis talks to the old woman and learns about the snakes who steal food from the people. The bad food and hushed voices give a sense that something is awry before readers even learn about the snake chief. I wonder what exactly was wrong with the food. The snake chief lives in a hut with a snake painted on it. In my version, I might have Kut-O-Yis notice the snake painting before he learns what is happening to the camp.
  3. Kut-O-Yis visits the snake tent. After killing buffalo, Kut-O-Yis boldly walks over to the snake tent, perhaps with courage and confidence gained from already defeating the bears. He further shows his self-assuredness by eating the snakes' berries and throwing away the plate without fear of repercussion. 
  4. Kut-O-Yis kills the snakes. The story has no mention of the snakes putting up a fight; the snake chief only has time to rattle and look angry before Kut-O-Yis cuts off his head. The one small snake escaping I think might be to explain why snakes didn't die out for the Blackfeet, but in my story I will make it an ominous sign that more danger may be coming.
  5. Kut-O-Yis gives the snake tent to the old woman. Continuing Kut-O-Yis's theme of helping the weak and fighting against the greedy and powerful, he gives the snake chief's tent to the poor old woman he first met in the camp.


Comments

Popular Posts