Wikipedia Trail from The Faerie Queene to Eve

 The Faerie Queene: I wanted to start at The Faerie Queene, which I read last week for class, because I really enjoyed it but had never heard of it before and wanted to know more of the history behind it. I liked learning about the theological and societal commentary behind the characters.

In Media Res: I clicked on this article because I recognized the phrase as a writing strategy but couldn't remember exactly what it meant. It means "in the middle of things" and is contrasted with ab ovo, or from the egg, which basically means from the beginning. I also learned the strategy is common in epic poetry.

Paradise Lost: I chose this article because I know Paradise Lost is a famous piece of writing, but I don't know much about it. I thought it was written more recently than the seventeenth century, and I also didn't know it was so long. I enjoyed learning about the acrostics Milton included in the epic poem.

Eve: I chose this article because I've always learned about Eve in a religious context, and I was curious whether Wikipedia would offer some more historical information. I learned that Eve is recognized in the Baha'i faith and that her name can be traced to a goddess that was worshipped in Jerusalem during the Bronze Age.


Comments

Popular Posts