Wikipedia Trail from Maximón to Five Suns

 Maximón: I started at this article about a Guatemalan folk saint because he appears in my storybook and I wanted a little more background information on him. I didn't know that he is a syncretic blending of Pedro de Alvarado (a conquistador), Judas Iscariot, Saint Peter, and Mam (a Mayan grandfather deity), and he is also known as Ri Laj Mam, San Simón, and El Gran Abuelo.

Pedro de Alvarado: I didn't recognize this name in the list of characters inspiring Maximón, so I wanted to learn more about him. Pedro de Alvarado brutally conquered Guatemala (and other regions of central America), including the Tzutuhile people who are featured in most of my storybook stories.

Tōnatiuh: Pedro de Alvarado was redheaded and reminded people of a sun god Tōnatiuh. I don't know much about Aztec gods, so I wanted to learn more. This is the deity of the daytime sky and of the east and he's involved in many creation myths. Tōnatiuh is portrayed as a violent warrior, further reminding people of Pedro de Alvarado.

Five Suns: In Mesoamerican creation myths, there have been worlds that are created and destroyed, each with a new Sun. Tōnatiuh is the fifth sun. Many peoples in Central America believe they must nourish the Sun in order for the world not to be destroyed. 

Comments

Popular Posts